Saturday, March 11, 2006

Self-sufficiency Sweden-style

I was really quite thrilled to have my own cabin (my own kitchen!) a short walk from my desk. The cabin has four single beds. Cutlery and coffee cups for four. But no kettle, pots or pans. No plates or bowls. Johan was unimpressed by what he had been assured was 'self contained', and quickly sorted out a few cooking implements for me.

Then, as I prepared to cook pasta on my first night in, I noticed another problem. The stove didn't work. Inquiries the next day revealed that the stove was not activated or permitted to work. The reason for this is the absence of a fan over the stove, or even space in which to install one. (I wonder why the stove was installed.)

It brought to mind an email I had just received from Aussie-in-Denmark, Lynda, where she described Sweden as "the land of blue eyes, blonde hair, and a zillion rules and regulations... (makes Denmark positively fijian by comparison)." Can't wait to visit Switzerland...

Here's a recipe, for all those who must resort to microwave dinners only...


Cindy, primitive Swedish can-opening implement and a conquered can of "tomater krossade".

Ingredients:
One can crushed tomatos
One sachet of vegetarian taco mix
One can red kidney beans
Half of the biggest zucchini you've ever seen
One small green capsicum (my shopping docket called it 'paprika')
Tortillas
Rocket leaves
Weird Swedish cheese, inappropriate for Mexican cooking

Method:
1. Open the can of tomatos with a primitive Swedish can-opening implement and pour into bowl. 2. Add the taco mix, stir, and microwave for 2 minutes.
3. Drain the beans and add to tomato mix.
4. Slice the zucchini and capsicum on a dinner plate, using a butter knife.
5. Distribute the tomato/bean mix, zucchini and capsicum between two bowls. Reserve the second bowl for breakfast.
6. Microwave the first bowl for 4 minutes, then a tortilla for 10 seconds.
7. Fill the tortilla with the bean and vege mix, some chunks of inappropriate cheese, and a handful of rocket.

8. Dinner (and breakfast, and another dinner and breakfast) is served!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, hang on, maybe this is how you log in..

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apparently not. Don't mind me.. :-)/L

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home