Saturday, March 25, 2006

So what do the hip young things of Grimsö do on a Friday night? If the last two are anything to go by, they settle in for tea, cake, whiskey and a few highly competitive games of Settlers.


The object of the game is to build the most houses, cities and roads. Rolls of the dice give players the raw materials (bricks, wood, wool, grain and ore) that are required to build, and players can trade raw materials with each other. I'm wandering into game-geek territory, but I'm still a looong way from painting Warhammer figures, I swear.

As the night goes on, people lapse into trading in Swedish more frequently. I surprised everyone, including myself, when Örjan muttered something about 'skog' and I immediately responded "Yes! I'll trade for forest." It seems that remaining competitive in a board game is the only incentive for me to learn any Swedish at all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There ain't but two things wrong with painting warhammer minatures in bed. Jack and Shit, and Jack just left town.

solidarity,
anon.

11:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey CindyChan,
it appears "settlers of catan" is a popular game in these germanic countries... it is everywhere in Switzerland and Germany!

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home