Sunday, April 23, 2006

Homegrown junk food

My name is Cindy and I'm addicted to chips. Previously I was able to deny my addiction by simply not counting the number of afternoons at uni that I went down to the vending machine and carefully chose between cheese & onion, sour cream & chives, salt & vinegar or original.

Now I have no vending machine, and I have resorted to this:



At least once on every weekend, I scrub, slice and lightly boil some potatoes, then fry them in olive oil and eat them with salt and pepper. It really does provide the same greasy, bloated feeling!

Another desperate food substitution: last night I made an attempt at fried rice with lemon juice and soy sauce. I thought vaguely that it would be nice to add something sweet to balance the sour and salty, but I haven't bought any sugar, honey or other sweet condiments. Then it hit me: syrup from a can of pears! It turned out pretty well, too.

In my isolation I am becoming increasingly obsessed with food and what I will eat when I return to civilisation. Pizza is rating very highly, even though it's not normally a particular favourite of mine.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do the local people eat?

Or, if a Swede was stuck in Brisbane, what food would she/he be fantasizing over?

10:52 pm  
Blogger Cindy said...

I actually asked Ingrid, Henrik's wife, this question on my first evening here. When she spent a couple of months in Brisbane, she missed:

1. The cheese. As I previously mentioned, the dairy sections at the supermarket are pretty impressive here and Bega mild just doesn't rate.

2. The yoghurt. You can buy great natural yoghurt in 1 litre tetra-packs here. The Greek-style yoghurt that we have in Brissy is the closest substitute, but it's more expensive and not quite as creamy.

3. Knäckebröd. It's crispbread, kind of like Ryvitas, but you can buy it in a zillion different varieties here. (I've eaten my way through 6 different flavours.) I like them with Vegemite for a snack, but everyone else has them as a side to their meal, lightly buttered and topped with a slice of cheese.

A lot of Swedes would probably miss the tubes of Kaviar and jars of pickled herring. Shudder.

If I was a Swede, I'd miss (and I will anyway) the variety of 70% dark chocolate available at reasonable prices in the supermarket. Plain, with rasberry, with orange rind, with coffee, ... I'd better stock up before I go!

11:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home